AccessBlog.net

News, links, downloads, tips and tricks on Microsoft Access and related

About Me Search
Alex
Name:Alex Dybenko

Location:Moscow, Russia

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Merge Access and Word

This is a very popular topic in Microsoft newsgroups discussions – how to merge Microsoft Access record or table to Microsoft Word template. There is a very nice solution by Albert D. Kallal, Access MVP - Super Easy Word Merge. Helen Feddema has published a lot of samples to run this task in Access Watch newsletter. Some samples you can also find in Microsoft Knowledge base.
Also you can use native Microsoft Word mail-merge mechanism.
If your are not sure, that your application user can have Word installed – then you can build mail merge solution based on Microsoft Richtext control, like our Messaging sample. Or using Stephen Lebans, Access MVP, RichText ActiveX control.
Happy coding!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi¨
I have been looking for a solution expand the Super Easy Word Merge so that you get a dialogbox, where you can browse the disk (e.g. c:\) and create a new folder (you type the foldername i a textbox).
Please help me.
I have been looking on the net for about 6 hours to find the solution.


Erling
Denmark
Erling

11:37 PM  
Blogger Alex Dybenko said...

Hi,
Browse for folder dialog code is here:
http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0002.htm

To create a folder you can use MkDir

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex

Thank for the quick answer.
I have been on the webpage that you submitted to me.
But I think I must be dumb, because I can not figure out how I have to write the code to make a folder.
It could be:
Create a folder named "test" in the root of C:\.

I just need this routine so bad, because I have promised my friend to make this routine, to make there work easíer.

I think I just have to tell them that I can´t do this job.

Erling

10:07 AM  
Blogger Alex Dybenko said...

Hi,
something like this:

ChDrive "C"
MkDir "test"

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex
Yes - just like that.

But with the user to select both the drive to make the folder on, and the name of the folder.

I know it is simple, but I just can´t figure it out:-)

Erling

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I use my existing word doc templates with your code. Everything works fine, however I want to merge into existing templates because they are too difficult to recreate on the fly. I appreciate your suggestions.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Alex Dybenko said...

Hi,
template is almost the same as normal word doc, from mail merge point of view, so what problem do you have using it?

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alex
I work for a law office where we have a lot of documents we use, also a lot of clients with their own files...I have been assigned this week to merge all those documents into microsoft access to make it easier...I have no idea where to begin. Help?
Thanks in advance!!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Alex Dybenko said...

Hi,
Albert article is the best way to start with mail merge.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous annadainin said...

nice share mail merge
thanks for information

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home